"Salvi" (Hope)

"Salvi" (Hope)
Loz. 2008. Acrylic on canvas. Original size 150 x 60 cm

"Dominus Flevit" (The Lord Wept)

"Dominus Flevit" (The Lord Wept)
Loz. 2008. Acrylic on canvas. Original size 70 x 50 cm

Dominus Flevit

Luke 19:41-44

As He drew near and came in sight of [Jerusalem], He shed tears over it and said,

“If you too had only recognized on this day the way to peace! But in fact it is hidden from your eyes! Yes, a time is coming when your enemies will raise fortifications all round you, when they will encircle you and hem you in on every side; they will dash you and the children inside your walls to the ground; they will leave not one stone standing on another within you, because you did not recognize the moment of your visitation.”


Sunday, November 30, 2008

Prayer of Discernment

Thomas Merton

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following your will
Does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
Does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this,
Yyou will lead me by the right road,
Though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost
And in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
And you will never leave me to face my struggles alone.

1 comment:

eeeeeedith =) said...

hey Loz!

I particularly like "But I believe that the desire to please you
Does in fact please you."

In this world, I feel like we are brought up to think that we have to succeed, otherwise we end up "failing". We then carry this into our understanding of God, and our relationship with Him... and we think that if we "fail" or don't get something right, He becomes angry or disappointed with us.

Sometimes this means that we are too scared to even try to do something... which brings to mind the Parable of the Talents.

God only requires that we try, and do our best to follow Him. Our attempts themselves are what pleases Him, more so than the end result! Thanks for reminding me of this!

We offer You our failurs, we offer You attempts
The gifts not fully given, the dreams not fully dreamt
Give our stumbling direction
Give our vision wider view
An offering of ashes, and offering to You.

-Ashes